Setting Up a CNAME with 1&1
1. Log in to the 1&1 Control Panel.
2. From the Control Panel, click Domains from the Domains & Web Space section.
3. Click on the New menu, and select Create Subdomain.
4. Enter in the subdomain you want to use for your CNAME. We find that most of our members prefer to use the alias "www," resulting in a CNAME of www.MyDomain.com. However, the alias for your CNAME can be set to any word you like. Other examples include:
- If you'd like to use a CNAME of "archive.MyDomain.com," you would set your alias to "archive."
- If you'd like to use a CNAME of "galleries.MyDomain.com," you would set your alias to "galleries."
5. Click OK. You will need to wait several hours before the status of your new subdomain changes from "applying" to "ready."
6. Once your subdomain has a status of "ready," select the subdomain by checking the checkbox next to it. Then click on the DNS menu, and select Edit DNS Settings.
7. Under Domain Data, choose CNAME. Then, in the CNAME Settings > Alias* field, enter in: custom.photoshelter.com. This is the same address to which every member's CNAME points, and it does not change, regardless of your own personal PhotoShelter website address. Click the OK button when you've finished this step.
8. Now you need to forward your domain to the CNAME that you just set up in the previous step. You may do this by going back to the Domains area (see Step #2 above) and clicking on the Destination menu, where you'll select Edit Destination. Your Destination Type should be set to Forward Your Domain.
Under the Forward Your Domain section, in the Forwarding destination, you should enter in the full URL of your CNAME. For example, if you set up a CNAME of www.MyDomain.com, then you should enter "http://www.MyDomain.com" (without the quotes) in the Forwarding Destination field.
Set the Forwarding Type to HTTP redirect. (Note: Only take this step if you do not plan to use your custom domain for anything but your PhotoShelter site.) This will ensure that your clients will land on your PhotoShelter site whether or not they include the "www" in the address.
Be sure to click OK before moving on.
9. Now log in to your PhotoShelter account and select Website > General Settings (on the left-hand side of the page). Enter your CNAME into the Custom Domain (CNAME) field. The CNAME is the alias plus your domain (e.g. "www.MyDomain.com").
10. Finally, be patient. DNS changes can take up to 48 hours to propagate across the Internet, so if you are unable to enter your CNAME into PhotoShelter shortly after creating it with 1&1, please allow a few hours to pass for your DNS changes to fully go through.
Note: Because all of the work must be performed at the domain level, you should contact 1&1 customer support if you need additional help.