We do not apply sales tax automatically, but you can elect to set up taxes based on the location of the buyer. If you set up any taxation, your potential buyers will be prompted to provide a shipping address even if there is no physical fulfillment (i.e. download). This is so we can determine the appropriate tax rate.
NOTE: Please consult with your tax professional for specific information regarding photographer taxes. None of the information herein should be considered as legal or tax advice.
To configure sales tax, follow these steps:
1. Log into your PhotoShelter account and navigate to “Sell” > “Sales Tax.”
2. Click the green “Create Tax Configuration” button.
3. On the next screen, choose which items you’d like to tax (prints & products, downloads, or both).
4. If you’d like the shipping fee to be taxed, check the box next to “tax shipping fee.” In the U.S., shipping is typically not taxed.
5. If you’re in a country with VAT taxes, your VAT ID can be placed in the field that says “Display this text next to tax line on invoice.” You can also check the box to “Display tax as VAT on Invoice."
6. Insert your preferred tax rate in the field next to a state or country. Leaving a field blank will assess no tax for that region.
7. You can batch apply a tax rate by placing your rate into the field titled “Apply rate to all blank fields in this section” (located at the top of each geographical grouping). This mechanism will not override individual tax rates that you have already assigned.
8. When you’re done entering in your tax rates, click the “Save Configuration” button.
NOTE: Our U.S.-based automated print vendors may assess tax fees based on the shipping address of the buyer. If the destination of the shipment is the same as the city in which the vendor is located, there may be tax assessed by that vendor and added to the total cost of the order. If you have set up your own tax rates, your buyer may incur a double taxation.