To reduce spam inquiries coming through the contact form on your site, we recommend enabling reCAPTCHA. This free service from Google can help prevent spam generated by bots. If you've ever clicked the "I'm not a robot" checkbox when submitting a form on the web, you've interacted with reCAPTCHA.
If your site uses a PhotoShelter domain (e.g. yourname.photoshelter.com), you do not need to do anything to set this up. This is automatically set up in your site. For those that use a custom domain with their PhotoShelter site, there are a few steps involved to integrate reCAPTCHA.
Setting up reCAPTCHA for a Custom Domain
1. In your PhotoShelter account, navigate to "Website" > "General Settings."
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the reCAPTCHA instructions.
3. Click through the link in step one to visit Google's reCAPTCHA admin console. If you're not already logged into a Google account, you'll be prompted to log in.
4. Once logged in, you should see a page to register a new site. If you have previously registered a site using this tool, click the "+" in the top right to add a new site.
5. Fill in the "Label" field with a name for your site (you can put anything you want in this field, but we recommend putting in your domain name).
6. Under "reCAPTCHA" type select "reCAPTCHA v2." When the dropdown appears, choose the "I'm not a robot" checkbox.
Note: If you select a different reCAPTCHA type or validation option, it will not work with our integration.
7. Under "Domains" enter in the custom domain you use with PhotoShelter (this should match what you have entered in the "Custom Domain (CNAME)" field in your General Settings).
8. Check the box to "Accept the reCAPTCHA Terms of Service."
9. If you want to receive notifications from Google about spam, keep "Send alerts to owners" checked. Otherwise, you can uncheck the box.
10. Click the "Submit" button.
11. On the next screen, copy the top key generated for the HTML of your site:
12. Navigate back to your PhotoShelter General Settings.
13. In step 2 of the reCAPTCHA settings, click the link to create a snippet to be added to your footer code.
14. Paste in the link you copied in step 11 and click "OK." A code should now appear in your Footer Code field.
15. Click "Save Settings."
That's it! Your reCAPTCHA should now show on the contact form on your site.
Removing reCAPTCHA for your Custom Domain
To remove the reCAPTCHA from your contact form:
1. Navigate to your PhotoShelter General Settings.
2. Delete the reCAPTCHA code. If you have other code entered into this field, be sure that you are only deleting the reCAPTCHA code. It will begin with "<!--Custom reCAPTCHA code-->" and end with "<!--End Custom reCAPTCHA code-->"
That's it! The reCAPTCHA should now be removed from your contact form.